Saturday 16 November 2019

Recovery: Two weeks post discharge

I'm learning that a week can be a long time in recovery from a major health event. In my case anyway, this week has felt much more normal in that I've had a lot more energy and so have done more. I'm still sleeping quite a lot and feel that I need at least 8-9 hours per night at the moment, whereas I would have been fine with 6.5-7.5 previously. My days have been quite full, with a mixture of walking, self-enforced tasks around the house, and chasing up my outstanding medical tests. I finally had my CT abdomen/pelvis on Thursday morning (after three phone calls and a little cry on the phone to one of the admin staff) and will hopefully have the results of that on Monday. 
From a physical point of view, I'm relatively pain-free at rest at the moment unless I'm lying flat on my back, and have not had to take any painkillers for chest pain this week, but some for a persistent headache early in the week. In TMI news, I'm on day thirteen of my period at the moment so that is super fun - my poor underwear drawer doesn't know what hit it. A set of sheets has already ended up in the bin so this could get expensive if it happens every month. Oh well....blood thinner life! I will try to self-soothe by buying nice new undies and I have already replaced the sheets.

Walking is feeling easier and I have been able to up the pace a bit without too much chest pain. Inclines are certainly easier. I'm trying to walk 4-6 miles per day depending on what else I'm up to and I may try to up that next week to 5-7, although this may be weather dependent as it's beautiful walking weather at the moment. I'm telling myself that I'm waiting for a clear CT before attempting a run but, to be honest, I don't feel any urgency to run yet as I'm not sure I'm physically ready. Also, I'm scared, so there is that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment